Read Ruth 1 with Judges 21:25
Memory verse Ruth 1:16b "Where you go I will go and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God"
1. The verse from Judges reflects the time period that leads into Ruth. What do you imagine life was like then?
2. Describe the circumstances that bring Naomi to Moab.
3. What was life like for her there?
4. What brought her back to Bethlehem?
5. Why didn't Naomi want her daughters-in-law to travel with her?
6. Why do you think Orpah stayed in Moab while Ruth chose to continue on to Bethlehem?
7. Ruth vows to remain with Naomi forever. What was it about Naomi and/or her faith that was so attractive?
8. In verses 20-21 Naomi pours out her bitterness with her old friends. Who has God placed in your life that can share both your blessings and your sorrows?
For personal growth:
Naomi's faith was attractive enough to Ruth that she was willing to leave everything familiar and safe to stay with Naomi. How well do you walk out your faith? Do your words and actions enhance Christ's image or detract from it? Imagine you are the only believer in your family or circle of friends (for some of us this is a reality). How might others see God through the way that you face adversity? Where do you usually turn when life turns on you? How might things be better if you were to accept Christ's challenge in Matthew11:28 "Come to me all who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest". Which burden might God be asking you right now to turn over to Him?
For the good of the group:
What is your relationship like with those who are married to or dating your children?